Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Rush of Inspiration

I was walking to class today, minding my own business, when suddenly, quite clearly, I saw exactly what was going to happen to my characters and my little world after Seafear is over. I know precisely what both sequels will be called, I know what happens from beginning to end, I know roughly how long I want each one to be-- and all of this came to me in a little more than three seconds.

I hurried to write it down, of course, because I was carrying my laptop with me to my Microeconomics class to take notes. I got about four paragraphs into a summary of Seafear's sequel when I had to minimize the window and pay attention to what Professor Ballard was saying. (Well, I didn't have to, because in a class of 600 he can't really call anyone out for not paying attention. But I do want to pass the class and start my college career off with a 4.0.)

This, right here, is why I love writing. It's the flash where, quite suddenly, the world that decides to inhabit your head arranges itself into a crisis and resolves itself. It makes perfect sense that everything would work out that way. I am very much looking forward to writing this series. If I get Seafear published and manage to milk it into a two-book deal, all the better. If I don't, I'll just write it for my own pleasure and maybe throw it up onto FictionPress sometime.

In other news, I turned 19 yesterday.

No comments: